Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Rain & Tide


It was one of my last days; I was dipped below the Cliffs on a quieter beach. The sun was pulsating. I laid down my towel, hesitated behind my friend who was going for a free-body surf. I wanted to experience the water. So, I waded out, and then dipped underneath. The ocean was shallow. I waded out a little further, away from the surfers. The sea chilled my skin, but I was breathing deeply; it was peaceful. As I stood looking out beyond the horizon, I slipped my fingertips underneath the clear waters and waited. For a moment, my mind was blank.

In the middle of the cold waters, I felt warmth around my legs. The seaweed like grass was moving with the waves and hugging my thighs. I had walked into an ocean-field. I watched as the wave pushed it back and forth. The surf-grass was long and stretched out, reaching for the deepest parts of the ocean, as if it wanted to pull from the roots and escape. I watched with sheer fascination, it moved in unison with the wave. Constant motion. 

It was beautiful and it defined my life. An orchestrated change of tide; I would be on the move again soon. And suddenly, I was okay with that. It would cost something, it may still cost everything, but it was worth the risk, I decided, standing there, watching long strands of grass under the water.

***

The plane landed with a slight bump. The 4-hour flight had been rather uneventful as I gorged on the new Star Trek movie and caught a sloppy travel-nap. Moving through the airport would be a rush, I knew. I was ready to be at my destination, and frankly was starving so dinner would have to be a priority once I was in the city.

I found my way through JFK. Thankfully navigation was easy and I was able to find a shuttle to the city, ask directions from a returning New Yorker and get a subway card. It was like any other day, September 11th. Colleagues told me even the ceremonies were not as eventful as they had been in years past. It was an average day for most New Yorkers. And I joined in the workaholic feeling, my head already creating a long to do list.


My first morning in New York was early, the city was still semi quiet, but I knew that would change. On the upper west side of Manhattan and only one story up; I could see grey skies. The rain was coming. The muggy temperatures would drop and the reality of a much cooler place would set in – which only meant one thing, I would have to move fast to stay warm.  I slipped into a hot shower, and stood in the heat, letting the running water relax my shoulders and back. The coming days would be long – was I ready for it? No. But that didn’t matter, I would have to push hard anyway.  

Another season, fall…forward, the common state of my humanness. So, let’s see where this city takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment