Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Lost in the 'Promised Land'

Courtesy of Google Map & Pixlr App

Israel can do better than this, he said.

I'm broken today, my friends. I was saddened when I left a meeting with a contact.

I learned when Africans come to Israel, they have no where else to go. This is there last stop, the refugees flee hoping each place they go will be better and Israel, they are often stuck. They are not easily offered status and more often when they arrive, they are literally dumped on a sidewalk with nothing but the clothes on their back.

Government, society will not deal with them. If they are able to avoid detention and gain a place in the country, it is only won through the courts and only if the presiding judge is compassionate enough. Many of them have fled hostile countries, others trafficked into the country - all rejected - and it breeds deep racism from their Israeli counterparts, rejection and many of them turn to crime or end up in hopeless situations.

The organization here relies heavily on outside donations and cannot keep more than about 50 people in their shelter at any given time. They work with community leaders to help provide jobs, training, status, physical and mental healthcare for the refugees. But many of them, if the they can help with relocation and help them set up, it is not in Israel, the success is often found in international relocation.

The contact I spoke with said while he believes what he does is important, it is difficult. Having been a refugee, detained, participated in a hunger strike and opened the first NGO to assist with African refugees and focus on their needs; the challenges are complicated and frustrating. His eyes were sad. But he holds on, he must hope change can be made. Small steps at a time. He's passionate.

I left heavy - as I begin approaching the stories of people here who so desperately need to be heard, I don't know how much of a dent it will make, but like my new friend - I have to think; if one person's life can be improved in anyway by one story, then maybe humanity still exists in Western Backed Ideals. It's important. It's necessary humility.

No comments:

Post a Comment