Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Electricity Fizzing Flat


Dear Reader:

It is time again I tell you a story, and I must say, you’ve been painfully patient. If I could give you all a cookie, I would. Oreos, in fact.

Now, where was I? Oh yes, a story. 

Well you see, it all started the morning I was to leave a couch surfing couple and head on to a flat. Like any other morning without sleep, I sat up, awake and my hair in dishevel. The apartment manager sent a text, ‘Can you meet me at the flat now?’

I flew out of bed and avoided telling him what I really wanted to say, ‘Shut up, I’m going back to bed. It’s is too early.’

But I knew better and frankly, I wouldn’t have slept another minute. There was a Dog. And the Dog obviously made sure I never slept. Between midnight barks, knurling at his foot and frequent scratches in the corner – he would look me in the eye; he knew what he was doing. The moment I made it to my feet, exhausted and grumpy, he followed. The Dog headed for the door, blocked my way and barked as loud as possible. I skirted around trying to calm him down. It never worked. Hadn’t worked in days, why should I place any hope on a Sunday morning? I shouldn’t  - so I didn’t. I finally flung myself from the door, dragging my luggage and tripping forward onto the sidewalk, again.

Not a great start. But, enough. I headed in the direction to the rooftop flat and after a series of turns, getting lost, walking only four blocks away, I was exhausted. How did I talk myself into 3 bags on this trip? Really.

7-flights up, all the way to the top, old building, and no elevator – whew - I made it. After quick instructions and a mini tour; the guy finally handed me the key.

The first moment alone in days; I just wanted to lie on my back...on the bed. I dared not fall asleep; I knew how much I needed to get done, even on a Sunday. But just for a moment I enjoyed sheer silence. The rooftop-flat had one simple purpose: marveling over the city of Tel Aviv.

After a shower and a little organization, I decided to plug in my Mac and get started. Seemed simple enough, until I plugged into the outlet of a freshly turned on electrical signal and my right hand surged with sparks which shook my forearm and threw me back on the bed. A loud whispered squeal escaped my vocal chords. I had electrocuted myself and felt like a cartoon.

I sat on the edge of the bed, my hand visibly shaking and thought, ‘What the hell was that?!’

Slowly I got up, fumbled for a chair and climbed up to the electrical box to reset. I had also blown the fuse. Nice.

The rest of the day proved uneventful. Shocks and shakes through my arm lasted a few hours, I worked, I napped, I spoke to a friend, I took a walk. Nevertheless, the when sunset came, there was nothing more satisfying than to look out over the city and take it in. No thoughts or words, just Tel Aviv - for a moment, even if it never came again. 

Until Next Time, 
Yours Truly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment