Saturday, March 16, 2013

The Holiest City


Hello Reader,

We meet again. You didn’t have doubts did you?

To put it frankly, I’m a cranky traveler. Don’t get me wrong, I love the fast-paced transitions, the people watching in the airport and the chance to catch up on a little reading, writing and arithmetic or in my case: math equals movies. But I don’t sleep well, and I’m regularly trying to reattempt fetal position in airplane seats and food court chairs that provide no back or neck support.

So here we are again. In the air, crossing the US, Europe and into Istanbul a bump before reaching my final destination: Jerusalem.

The Holiest City on earth, they say. Three religions agree. And I wonder: how does such never-ending conflict continue on holy ground? I will soon find out, I’m certain.

Walking off the airplane, moving through the customs wasn’t too complicated except for all the questions I had to answer before being told to sit in the Ministry of Interior box only 2 minutes later to be handed a Visa.

But fast-forward; entering the city and meeting my hostess, we took a stroll through the market to get lunch. It was busy with beggars, buscars and visitors. The smell of bakeries and the sight of fresh produce and nuts flooded the streets. It was a colorful seen, marked with diversity and constant movement.

I am fascinated by the unique blend of community that exists.

Waking up, Day 1:  I can see the Mount of Olives from my window, in the horizon, just beyond churches, synagogues and rooftops in the Old City.  The sunrise peaked over the hills and overlapped with the moon through the mist of morning clouds.  It’s the subtle feeling I am actually here – again, across the oceans in search for the perfect story. The coming events will prove to create a sound and mood in the city which seems to be in constant change, in constant search for unique peace between enemies.

Meantime, there is a certain grace, which rests over the city’s horizon: a sense of fluidity and yes, the sacred…

To be continued, my friends.

Yours truly,

No comments:

Post a Comment