Friday, November 2, 2012

Walking In Place


“I can’t believe I ate that whole thing,” I exasperated. I had just eaten a rather large personal pizza at a little Italian/Japanese Café in the Souks in Beirut.

“Eh, Enjoy it, you can eat whatever you want, here, because you walk everywhere.” Jamjoom smiled.

He was right, of course, only leaving out the running across streets and dodging cars that would otherwise run you over. The exercise was “all natural” in this city by the sea.

Having finally seen a familiar face, a dear friend; it made my day. I felt like I was really here, after nearly 5 days.  Somehow the possibilities got bigger and it just seemed to settle that I right where I wanted to be…in Beirut.

Only a day before I had walked down toward the Presidential Palace to see the remnants of demonstrations that didn’t seem to have any traction in the middle of the afternoon, in the middle of the work-week. Even so; Lebanese security forces were everywhere, though, they didn’t seem too concerned.

I ran into a team from local affiliate, Future TV, who had a tent set up, a satellite truck and were waiting for the call to do LIVE coverage if anything developed.  Ali, the cameraman, was a kind man; he offered coffee, juice, snacks and cigarettes. He told me stories about going to Ol’ Miss in the States during the 80s. He told me how Syria was affecting the land he owned and Ali even told me if I ever needed anything, to give him a call (Because, well..let's face it, I stick out like a sore thumb). 

The camp, itself, had several tents, Lebanese flags hanging everywhere and of course security had the area blocked off. If you didn’t follow the news, you may have never known there had been thousands in the square or tear gas released on the crowds just days before. The camp was quiet and there weren’t any more than about 8 or 10 people standing around. Mohammad Saad, one of the leaders of the protest told me they had been there for 11 days. He said he and the protesters were against the current administration, he thinks President Sleiman should resign and how it was all actually helping the Syrian regime stay in power – so to him, they were indirectly helping the Syrian people and of course, themselves.

Walking on, I thought, Beirut, so it seems, is a place hanging in the balance. They wait for peace, for the Government to hear them, they wait for war and they wait to see what will happen next. In truth? I am following suite. What will be tomorrow - I can only wait and see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment