Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Lebanon's Friendliest, First Days & a Walk-About



Law & Order re-runs, dubbed in French and shown on Lebanese TV. My evening at the hotel room was rather entertaining. And it was only night two. 

When I arrived on Sunday, a driver was at the airport, waiting for me, ready to whisk me away to the hotel. A quaint place in downtown Beirut, international flags displayed outside and the front desk manager was kind and accommodating. I was set up for the next several days, and with that; I was also ready to get in and take a nap. I never sleep while traveling. My layover had been a rather pointless in Amman, but the flight was cheap because t was the middle of the Muslim holiday: known as Eid. 

The small room was cool and clean and contained everything I needed: a bed, a desk and a bathroom. I unloaded my belongings and sat down on the bed, though almost immediately, I laid down and went right to sleep. After a couple of hours, I decided I needed to explore the block. I would touch base with my friends later. Most places were closed both due to Eid and because it was Sunday, explained the afternoon hotel manager. But he gave me fine directions to a small market that *would* be open. 

Making my way down the street, I thought it might be good to have a little cash, in Lebanese pounds, rather than just my credit card. So walked a little further to see if I could find an ATM. I circled around one of the small streets and headed toward the port, thinking I would come up on a main road. I did. Turning to my right, I saw a security guard who caught my eye and asked if he could help - at least, I assumed that is what he was asking in Arabic. I asked him if he spoke English and he answered back that he knew some. He showed me to the ATM right inside the building he was watching. I didn't know the currency exchange at the time, so I made a guess and pulled out Lebanese pounds as well a dollars, just in case. 

Back around and to the market, I picked up a few snacks and headed back to the hotel. If I thought I was lost, I simply asked someone on the street. Everyone was kind and helpful. Later that night, looking for a restaurant or bar open, because a woman does have to eat, even on the holiday; I found a place that had lights on just down the street from the hotel, but of course when I walked up the stairs to the restaurant, I discovered it was a Chile's - ah, an American restaurant. Nevertheless, I was hungry, so it was - I ate and had a couple of deserved Margaritas. Of course, it didn't matter much. I sat at the bar and with only a few people in the venue watching the Manchester United-Chelsea football match (ManU won, sadly), the bartender and one of his *server* friends eagerly talked to me - what to do in Beirut, how to navigate around and then, you know, the conversation diverted to Lady Gaga and why she made for great Halloween costumes. 

Day two would be a bit like the first, walking to one of the shopping centers for a local phone and well...a hair-dryer (yes, truly an American girl). But without any trouble, I was able to ask for assistance and folks were able to help. Even if they didn't speak English well, or at all, they could understand and were more than willing to point and show me where to go. 

In all the hours of my work, research, writing and inquiries: the one thing I found in my first days here: people are attentive and willing to share what they know with someone who is obviously...not a local.

No comments:

Post a Comment