Sunday, October 20, 2013

Exercise Review: Free Yoga (NYC)

http://www.yogaworks.com/
I fumbled through my bag for my keys. The young woman behind the counter seemed oblivious to my flustered ransacking but was gracious enough to wait for me. It was day 3 of a free yoga week. The first 2 days had kicked my ass and I was quite sure my back was only getting worse, nevertheless, I was sleeping so perhaps the aching was just a natural progression of working my body, pushing myself to the physical limits I needed. I picked a slightly slower class, asked the girl where the locker room was, and dashed to get in, barely on time and still a few minutes behind. 

Having been through a dry spell and my back painfully belly-aching, I decided it was time to find a studio. So after a thorough New York search and online review session, I found Yoga-Works. With expansive descriptions of each class, I decided it would be a good fit. Some of the locations even had showers, which proved useful when I needed to run off to a meeting afterwards. 

The studios offered a free week, but usually only to New York residents, and it took a little convincing I would be in town longer than a week and really needed the practice. They allowed me to sign up. While my stay in the big city is to be determined, with multiple locations around the US, they probably felt they could hook me into a membership. It's not something I'm ready to sign up for, but that's okay. This week was a trial week and the therapy was needed. 

There was always that moment when I would reach my fingertips above my head, feel the tingling and sit slowly into a chair pose, I thought, I can do this, I must do this - for me. Deep breath in, deep breath released. Hands folded down, feet stepped back, sinking into upward dog, then downward and preparing for Warrior-2. Focusing on my movement and each muscle stretch, I worked out how spine lengthened along with the varying positions. When finally retreated on my back, the hard straight wood floor felt to be the most comfortable place I have been in lately. It was a need more than a want and it was the most calm satisfying space, particularly in the overwhelming monstrosity of the city.

The instructors are patient and willing to allow students to adjust as necessary - though I admit, I wish they had been more hands on with physical adjustments. I appreciate when an instructor positions me exactly - it ensures I'm getting the full experience of the stance. Some of the instructors seemed too hesitant to touch anyone, though the last instructor I had was super fun and very interested in making sure students got the full experience of the practice. Each class also opened up with 'Oms,' and I admit, I'm not a fan of Om and usually just take another deep breath. Being a little more athletic, I am more accustomed to the 'Core Power Yoga' style practice than getting in touch with a Yogi Monastery. 

BUT that did not deter me from engaging in the physical flow of the Vinyasa classes and gaining the benefit from each instructor to help me adjust my body, feeling the lengthening in my spine and muscles. Overall, I was pleased with Yoga-Works and would recommend it to anyone looking for a week while traveling and needing that extra space to block out the daily distractions, focusing body, soul and mind on the one thing that counts: You. 

No comments:

Post a Comment